Yesterday was a good day. One of the better ones I've had in a while. We had a visitor from England! My uncle Dave and we all (except Jason who had the busiest work day ever) piled in the car and drove to Shenandoah and ate lunch at Big Meadows Lodge. It is still pretty hot around here but it was cooler in the mountains and just right for a little jaunt. Dave enjoyed seeing Shenandoah and being the world traveler he is I was shocked to learn he had never been there before.
My uncle Dave was married to my aunt Marilyn. Marilyn was one of my dads sisters who died 5 months ago from complications from ALS. ALS is a progressive, debilitating disease that has no mercy. Some people if given that diagnosis might just crawl into a hole and die right then and there. Not Marilyn.
I was one of the lucky ones to know Marilyn. Luckier still to have her be my aunt. She was one of the strongest persons I have ever met. In the face of this disease her spirit and her strength never faltered. In caring for her Dave was one of the bravest human beings I have seen in a long time. Never did I talk to them and they expressed sorrow. I am sure they had their struggles but all any of us received was positive and a love of life so strong you could touch it.
I never told this to Dave and not even to my parents either but before I got the call that Marilyn passed away, I was singing a song to Daniel and I felt her with me singing as well. I doubt that she was really "there" but I think I willed her to be with me for a little while. She left behind a wonderful husband, two great (and very strong like their mother) daughters and one fabulous grand-daughter. I know she is watching over them all. And it gives me great comfort to think that maybe, just maybe, she is watching over me and my family too. I feel stronger when I think of this. I feel lucky to have her in my corner.
Dave, I do hope this does not offend you. I really loved seeing you and having you meet our children and spend time with them. I hope you enjoyed the day as much as I did.
Oh yes, and happy birthday to my dad. Now if you ask Alison how old papa is, she will answer as loud as she can in a restaurant, "66, 66, 66..."
Sorry dad ;-)
To view pictures of the day please click here:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great pics!
Nice to see Uncle Dave too!
Uncle Dave here - what a great day that was and what a privilege to be able to spend some time with Lara, Jason, Alison and Daniel, and of course Lara's parents as well. Just to be able to be with Ali and Danny for a while gave me very great pleasure and I knew it was giving Marilyn great pleasure too. She loved you guys very, very much and we must never forget all the lessons she taught us.
Post a Comment