The initial shock, anger and sadness has subsided for us. We have really tried to focus on day to day instead of the big picture--whatever that may be.
Occasionally I will get jolted to a bad place. Like when Daniel's case manager said that we might want to consider supplemental health insurance through social security, I was not happy about thinking that he would need that. Or when Alison was playing and she had a toy of Daniels and she said, "Okay now Daniel crawl over and get it."
But the good times outweigh the bad and Daniel and Alison are wonderful children. I cannot imagine putting any limits on either one of them-disability or no disability. I will not let a diagnosis or prognosis tell me or my child how far they can go. I don't believe in that. I believe that both of my children will go as far as their heart desires. I believe they will reach for the stars and find themselves way beyond that. I believe they will surpass us all and change other peoples lives for the better.
I believe it-so it must be true.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I believe it too, Lara. I'm not just saying that. Things are really no different than they were before the diagnosis. I mean, before nobody was coming up with a prognosis as to what will happen & nobody is doing that now either. And, when it comes down to it, nobody ever knows what the future will bring. The thing with the diagnosis is that it gives us some horrible possibilities we didn’t think about before. I refuse to accept those horrible possibilities. I mean, what’s the point? Danny is doing fine now. He is a delightful baby & he is progressing. If it turns out that I’m wrong & something horrible develops, I can get upset about that then. For now, I’m assuming the best alternatives.
Post a Comment