Saturday, December 29, 2007

New Year Resolutions

Now that it is closer to the new year, I feel compelled to make some new year resolutions. However, this year will be drastically different from past new year's resolutions. Though I would love to have the weight loss and the personal finance security, I feel that those resolutions are not only unpredictable and in some ways unattainable but also somewhat shallow.

This year, my resolutions are a bit deeper:

1. I resolve to try to become a more patient mother. A mother that can stay calm whenever her 4 year old has become unglued. I want to be a mother that sets the right example for my children, to be a stable presence in the face of chaos. Though it won't be easy I am sure, I want to be the kind of mom that does not raise her voice to match her child's, but lowers her voice so her child can match her.

2. I resolve to try to become a more attentive mother. A mother who stays in the moment with her children. I want to be the mom who can forget all else (past, present and future) and just be with her kids.

3. I resolve to try not to be so hard on myself in regards to parenting. I will try to remember that I am doing the very best that I can, all that I can and giving all that I have. I will also try to remember how wonderful my children are and how they have gotten to that point, not from sheer luck (though some may believe that) but from parenting.

Well, what do you think?

Maybe I should have just stuck with the weight loss and all and while I will work on that as well (that is a constant resolution made everyday), I truly believe that these are the ones I need to focus on right now. Who knows how they will turn out. Who can predict anything anymore. I figure that if I have them written down for everyone to see though, that that will give me more incentive to really focus on them.

Of course there will always be next years end of the year montage as well, which will prove one way or the other if all of those resolutions actually made it into play. But then there is just the general one that I can definitely do that will cover all basis: Be thankful everyday for what I have.

I think that will be pretty easy:

New Album 12/29/07 3:10 AM

2 comments:

Kelli said...

What a sweet pic of Danny. And I think your resolutions are good ones, and some that many parents need to make...

Kelly said...

Danny is so precious. I love the resolutions! They have inspired me as well on what really matters in life and as a parent on where to shift our focus. ;-)