Saturday, December 1, 2007

Falling Up

I know it's been a while since our last post. It was not due to the fact that we were still digesting the turkey from Thanksgiving, but rather we were all on the mend (in one form or another).

From colds to spleen injuries, we have all been just barely getting by each day. I won't bore you with the details though.

Something I've been wanting to write about since before the Thanksgiving break is about the struggle I have been having and fear that I will continue to have for a long time in regards to Daniel's care. For one thing, his neurologist.

We do live in a smaller town and live not so close to a major hospital so when we moved here we knew we would have to deal with having all of Daniel's major medical care being taken care of at the big hospital that is an hour from here. No big deal really. As I said in previous posts I am getting very good at the driving to and from. The only problem lies in the people that are encountered to take care of Daniel. I am less than impressed. The more I deal with the lot of them, I am certain that even though they are a major institution, they offer less than any other institution of the same size or smaller. I am discouraged. I was actually told that to get Daniels MRI sent off to someone that I may need to do it myself! That to me is just unacceptable. How is it possible that such an institution/department/physician cannot do what is expected of them?

I have no problems getting angry with these doctors. I have no problems fighting for the right care for my child, but who knew that I would not only have to fight to get the work done but to do their work myself? Who knew I would have to climb up this ladder and fight as well as paint the picture too?! I cannot understand why this is. Why, in the future, we might (as a family) have to make a decision of where to live based on the availability and status of health care systems. Why should anyone? We have so much to consider already with schools, crime, jobs, money that we shouldn't have to deal with this other issue. I don't understand. Someone please explain it to me. Someone please tell me why I can't just take Daniel to a nearby doctor who will do his/her job and won't cause me to get this angry!

Whatever though, I will do what needs to be done. I will fight however hard and in whatever direction I must. Daniel deserves it. Both my kids deserve it. All kids deserve it.

No comments: