Sunday, November 11, 2007

It's the little things

I was shocked the other day at the realization that Thanksgiving is a mere 2 weeks away. I am not prepared. Not that I will be hosting the event but still, it was just Halloween people! Time just flies.

We will be going to my sister-in-law's house to cook and eat until our hearts content (and until I've gained back the nearly 9 pounds I've lost). My sister-in-law (Jason's sister) like us has two kids and like us has a girl and a boy in that order. The cousins are pretty close in age too which is nice. Alison thoroughly enjoys playing with her cousin and the boys, well lets just say that they will enjoy playing with each other too when they get older.

It will be difficult for me to see them together, knowing that my nephew who is 5 months younger then Daniel can crawl and pull himself up. Don't get me wrong at all, I will be happy to see him and enjoy the time with all of them but as much as everyone says "don't compare," it is still hard not to.

And then I wonder about Daniel--how much does he know? He is almost 15 months old now. Does he see other kids walking around? Does he know that he is not like other kids? How much can he decipher?

But again I need to focus on Daniel and his progress and honestly he is doing beautifully as usual. I know that he will crawl but I also know that he needs to accomplish other things first. Because in order to crawl there are other little steps that he must master. He is getting there.

This week Daniel has done a lot of little things that all add up. He continues to give high fives if you ask him, he will "clap" when asked to. He will also reach out and (surprising himself) turn a toy in such a way to make a sound or light up. He really did not know he could do that. It's funny because the louder and brighter the toy is, the better it is for Daniel--and the parents just have to deal. But it's great. It's great to see him more and more interacting with his world. It's great to see him laugh and realize what he can do with his hands. He is learning and I know that he is working up to the bigger things like crawling. But for now I enjoy those little things--when you think about it though, those are still pretty big.

No comments: