Daniel had a dentist appointment yesterday. It is clear that in this one area my kids are not mine since they do not try to hide for several weeks at the mention of a dentist appointment. My kids actually like the dentist. This is a good thing because I am pretty certain I caused my own dentist a lot of physical pain and I don't think that needs to continue.
Daniel has been to the dentist a total of 6 times (once per year) and he keeps getting better and better. When we first took him (due to his sensitivities in his mouth) he had to be held in my lap with several assistants and the dentist all holding him down. Then while he screamed, the dentist could peak inside his mouth. Like I said, he is getting better. Yesterday had him sitting in the chair all by himself just like a big boy. The dental assistant was showing him all the equipment to make him feel more comfortable. She let him hold a bigger (and plastic) version of the mirror they put in your mouth. I was surprised and impressed when she asked Daniel if her mirror was bigger and he said, "Nooooo." Then she asked him who has the bigger mirror and right away he said, "ME!"
Waiting for the dentist took a little while but Daniel happily talked and talked and looked around the room. When the dentist came in, we decided to leave him in the exam chair and I just held his legs (so he wouldn't kick the poor man) and his hands. He didn't scream and actually opened his mouth every now and then. Enough for the dentist to take a look and do a little brushing. No Cavities!
Daniel has actually been saying for months that his, "teeth hurt." With Daniel, it is difficult to know if he really does hurt somewhere or if he just heard someone say that and is repeating it. Nevertheless, since it went on for so long we wanted to check it out. Low and behold Daniel is getting his 6 year molars in and they can push on all the other teeth and cause pain. The dentist wasn't too concerned with them right now.
I started to ask the dentist and it was interesting that he knew exactly what I was about to ask. My question: "Will there come a time...?" The dentist knew. Yes, he said there will be a time but not until we take him in and he can have "more bang for the buck." So, if his molars cause his front teeth to become crooked and then they start to develop plaque then we would take him to the hospital and the dentist could remove some baby teeth and seal the molars and straighten the front teeth and do a cleaning all under "one roof." It was interesting how he explained to me all very casually. Very much as if this happens to all children (which I know it does not). He was very matter-of-fact and just knew what I was asking and what I needed to hear--we will not put Daniel under unless we really really need to. I think he would've been a great dentist for me, I am sure he wouldn't have been upset with me when I kicked him right in the...Ah well, so we got that all checked out.
Now this morning Daniel said his eye was hurting. My response: "Oh my goodness!" His response: "Oh my goodness!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment