Daniel actually doesn't get the whole birthday thing in it's entirety. I know he loves the cake and I know he enjoys the attention from the people around him but as for presents--he could care less and the whole candles on the cake thing is lost to him. It is okay though because I don't think his sister has any problem being the one to open all of the presents.
It is really something as simple as a birthday to bring it to reality how very different Daniel is from other kids. Given the choice he would've picked just singing and hanging out with grandma and papa and his friends versus opening a bunch of presents/playing with presents or even acknowledging it is his birthday. I actually do not think he has fully pieced together yet, what a birthday really is. It is okay though, we celebrate the day no matter what because that was the day that our little bald headed baby boy came into our lives.
We had no idea then when he was born or even several months after, that he would become a very special child, though I have to say I think he was always special. He made our family complete back then and continues to do so every day. He turned six and I am reminded of this poem by A.A. Milne:
When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five, I was just alive.
But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
Thinking of this poem reminds me of something else A.A. Milne wrote that I really think pertains to both my kids as they have just started school as well. My daughter should have this quote written down everywhere she goes but more than that, my kids need to believe it--as really all kids should:
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Happy Birthday Daniel! Happy First Week of School Kids! Love you both so much!
2 comments:
Happy Birthday Danny! Wish I could have been there to celebrate. Lara what a beautiful post and the poem brought me to tears, it was a good reminder to what really is important in life.
Love you all.
Tessy
My first visit to your blog and I am more amazed by you then every before.
Post a Comment