Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Boy

It is so much fun to watch your children develop a personality.

I have loved watching Alison's personality develop over the years. Even when she was born, I could see what kind of person she was going to become. The child did not want to sit still from day one. She wanted things her way or else. Guess what she is like today?

Daniel is different from his sister though and it makes for an interesting mix. Daniel is a bit more mild mannered and laid back. He takes it all in and then decides if he is not happy with something. You can tell by watching him that he knows more than he is letting on. It is almost as if he is taking notes on what life is like.

By contrast his sister tackles life and asks questions later. Not that either one of these personality traits is better, just different.

In Daniels case though there is a lot more mystery behind his personality. Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether it is him or his disability that is coming through. Sometimes I wonder how much his disability shapes him and his personality. Would he be a different child altogether if he were normal? Would he be bold and daring and loud and unafraid or would he still be the sweet sweet boy that he is only with more mobility?

I know that inherently we have a built in personality, but then there is that nature vs. nurture argument that worries me. Will Daniel grow to be angry, quiet, withdrawn due to his condition? Will his sister? What affects Daniel certainly does not affect him alone.

The ripple effect began long before he was born and really there is no telling how it will end. I am enjoying watching to see what happens, stepping cautiously and wanting very much for time to stand still.

No comments: