Friday, August 18, 2017

Playing God

I was listening to the radio this morning and found myself enthralled in this story: .

Of course I am amazed at all things medical so it should come as no surprise, but now I look at it from a parent standpoint. Not just that though, a parent whose child has a genetic mutation. I think the thing that strikes me the most about this report (and feel free to listen to it and form your own opinion), is that this procedure is actually changing the DNA for years and years and generations and generations. I am not under any illusion that any of this science will help Daniel or even make any difference whatsoever in his life, but I wonder about other mothers. Mothers-to-be or grandparents. This is something that could change the face of medicine completely and forever.

In truth, I actually have a lot of resentment towards whatever/whoever/however my son had this genetic mutation. I cannot say for sure that it was a "being" of any sort, but what made Daniel the way he is, I still hate with every part of me. No, I don't hate my son and I love my son very very dearly, but I do not like the fact that he got a raw deal. I hope that future medicine will provide the answers for parents to be able to take away any pain or suffering or a chance for a child to have a normal life. I know there are those that say, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger," but honestly no child should have to have a life-changing/life-threatening disease in order to prove their strength and no parent should have to go through it either.

No comments: