I am pretty sure I have stated on here how it is difficult to communicate with Daniel about how he is feeling. He likes to say that his ear hurts or that his teeth hurt, but he is saying it more for the reaction he gets from us (another dramatic person in the family). When he is truly sick, we actually have no idea what is bothering him.
On Friday I got a call from school saying that Daniel fell and hit his chin. There was no question to them that he would need stitches or at the very least need to be seen by the doctor. I went to get him and the funny thing is that his teacher said he did not cry at all. When I got to his school he was eating his lunch and talking and talking and had just a bit of blood dropping from his chin. He was happy! I knew though, that he wouldn't be happy at the doctors office.
I took him immediately to the pediatricians office and once the doctor saw him she said it would have to be either stitches or glue. Since Daniel does not enjoy having band aids or anything on him, they went with glue so that if he pulled at it, he wouldn't be pulling out the stitches. Before they worked on him though, they needed to clean and numb the area. Of course that meant he needed to lay down and be still. Now whenever we have taken him to the hospital (for dehydration) or even the doctors office or the dentist, he is very reluctant to stay still. It doesn't matter how much you tell him that everything will be okay and that it won't be long, he doesn't understand and fights to get off the table. For a little boy, he is very strong and it usually takes a good 3 to 4 adults to hold him still. I am reluctantly one of those adults. It is not easy and Daniel does not help when he kicks and screams, but that part I am okay with. For it is actually when he stops putting up the fight and surrenders like a hunted animal caught in its prey that I feel the most sorrow. After a while he gives up and part of me (even though I know that it would hurt me physically) wants to scream at the top of my lungs: "Don't give up Daniel! Don't you ever give up the fight!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment