Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Theater

I remember the first movie I saw (at least I think I do), it was "Annie." I remember the first movie that Alison saw was "Curious George." I am sure Jason would remember his first movie as well if I asked him.

I also have fond memories of the theater. I was in theater camp as a teenager and then worked as an usher and backstage for the theater near where I grew up. When I was in middle school and high school choir we would go to New York City to see a show at the end of the year. I love live theater and that was mostly why we went there this past summer and I took Alison to see a show. Jason and I both enjoy plays and musicals and want to share that love with both our children.

Daniel does not have a first movie yet. There have been one or two movies that we considered taking him but it is very difficult to think that through. First, if he cannot sit through the movie then that would mean one of us would need to leave before the movie is over. Then, we need to consider that he talks and repeats and sometimes yells out so he may cause a disruption. Finally, there is just no telling if he will really care about the movie or get anything out of it. It would be great to take him to the movies or the theater and maybe when he gets older that will be doable but what if it isn't? We would like to do things as a family as much as possible and not being able to take him along to see a movie or go to a show is somewhat heartbreaking to me.

1 comment:

Caleb & Amanda said...

I've been thinking about this. Did you know that the local cinemas will to a "Mommy and me" showing of kids movies where they leave the light up and its ok the kid is crying or loud? I used to be a theater manager and we'd schedule at least one weekday daytime screening this way of the latest kids movie. I don't know if Regal here does it standard, but they will do it if asked. And really does it matter if he remembers it or watches no more than 15 minutes? It's the shared experience that counts. I'm a movie fanatic and I don't remember the first movie I saw or even the last. I just remember particular scenes throughout life that captured my imagination.