Friday, February 11, 2011

Hard to Tell

When my daughter gets sick, I am worried for her and feel bad for her and I am probably a little overprotective. She hardly ever gets sick and so when she is not herself, she is very much not herself and it is concerning. There is one thing though that keeps me from becoming beside myself when she is sick--she can tell me what is wrong. Daniel was sick yesterday. He vomited all day and was not keeping even the tiniest of fluid down. He was pale and had lost all of his energy and it was clear he was in pain every time he vomited (he would scream and cry right before throwing up). It was painful to watch but also frustrating to not be able to know from him exactly what was wrong. Even though he has learned a lot of words and can repeat a lot of words he hasn't exactly gotten to the point yet of really expressing himself and his thoughts and feelings. It is difficult to know what he is wanting or needing and there is always a part of me that worries that I am missing something and that whatever is wrong is worse than it seems. I am sure it is frustrating to his pediatrician who I called several times last night and I am sure I am overreacting in this situation but I cannot help it and won't stop it until I hear from Daniel himself that he will be alright.

No comments: