Friday, July 17, 2009

Lucky Stars

Daniel's last day of summer school was today and by all accounts he had a great time! He thoroughly enjoyed school and even loved riding on the bus. He came home some days with paint somewhere on his body, but every day with a smile on his face. It was a delight to see.

Today, for the last day of summer school, there was a Luau (even though it rained). Daniel and his classmates sat on the cafeteria floor in their swimsuits and swim trunks and listened to music. I got a chance to see some of Daniel's classmates and the family members as well.

Some of Daniel's classmates are clearly in need of more care then Daniel. Some require wheelchairs, tube feedings and oxygen. Through it all though, the parents/caregivers are smiling, happy and take it all in stride. I look at them and wonder if I could do that. Could I take care of a child with such special needs?

To me, Daniel is a far cry from these children as far as his needs are concerned. Daniel does not need oxygen or to be fed from a tube and he is not in a wheelchair. But I do understand how these parents do it. I can totally see myself looking at any one of those children if they were mine and saying "at least he/she is not..." I get that. I get that each and every thing is looked upon as lucky it isn't worse. Because, yes it could be far far worse. And even though those other children appear to be worse off than Daniel, they are all really lucky.

Daniel's teacher told me that there would be a new 4th grader attending school in the fall. He had a motor vehicle crash in March. I looked this up online and this little boy was flown from his vehicle onto the interstate. No seat belt. This boy--very lucky.

No comments: